The ability to accurately size software is a critical aspect of managing and controlling successful project delivery. DCG is the leading providing of Functional Sizing services. We offer a variety of sizing techniques, including Function Point Analysis, FP Lite, Quick and Early Function Points (QEFP) and COSMIC.
Of course, the question you care most about is, "Why should I bother with Functional Sizing?" Here's why:
- You have the ability to compare the size of your software deliverables, which helps with determining priority and schedules.
- You have the ability to make more precise project estimates (both in terms of time and cost).
- You have the ability to see how your projects fare compared to industry benchmark data.
- You have the ability to more appropriately set user expectations (both in terms of time and cost).
- Ultimately, you have a well-defined currency for measuring the value delivered to an end user.
How do you capture the value of Functional Sizing and where do you start? Here's where we can help.
To start, we offer training classes to help you and your team learn about function points and execute function point counts:
- CFPS Prep: Our preparation course for the Certified Function Point Specialist (CFPS) Examination is intended to refresh participants on the fundamentals of counting and applying function points for their certification exam. (PMI-certified for 8.00 credits)
- Function Point Fundamentals: Our course provides you with the opportunity to learn and apply Function Point counting techniques.
- Function Points: Advanced: Our course accelerates your comprehension of the Function Point Analysis technique through intensive instruction and hands-on practical application.
- Quick and Early Function Points: Our course provides easy-to-understand concepts and easy-to-use techniques for sizing units of work to support estimating and measuring progress during Agile sprints and traditional lifecycles.
Looking for more than just training? That's where our Function Point Analysis Center of Excellence (COE) comes in. This is a pre-packaged solution for developing an internal framework to execute sizing in your organization. We work with you to build the framework, and then we run the Center of Excellence until your team has the time and resources necessary to run it in-house.
Need more information? Your first stop should be the International Function Point Users Group (IFPUG), a non-profit and leader in promoting and encouraging the use of Function Point Analysis and other software measurement techniques.
You can also find a number of DCG-authored books on Amazon:
- Measuring The Software Process: A Practical Guide (David Garmus and David Herron). Order now.
- Function Point Analysis: Measurement Practices for Successful Software Projects (David Garmus and David Herron). Order now.
- IT Measurement: Practical Advice from the Experts(IFPUG with DCG contributions). Order now.
- The IFPUG Guide to IT and Software Measurement (IFPUG with DCG contributions). Order now.
If you have any questions or just want more information about Functional Sizing, just let us know via email or in the comments below!