Software Risk Assessment Provides Foresight to Mitigate Potential Losses
Software risk exists because today’s software product development environment is orders of magnitude more complex than before. Every 3 to 5 years new technologies, user modalities and expectations coalesce to challenge product managers, owners and developers. New languages, products, platforms and methods continue to evolve supporting the creation of complex code sets that build up inherent defects and potential technical debt. In addition, mergers and acquisitions create hybrid-products and interfaces complicating the delivery of value to the customer. Software risk management becomes imperative and begins with a software risk assessment.
Software risk evaluation or assessment provides foresight into potential loses and brings decision makers benefits.
Our Software Risk Assessment Benefits Include:
- The ability to avoid unnecessary losses due to hidden issues in your software code sets
- Identification of potential IT team constraints – and enough time to mitigate them
- A fact-based remediation timeline based on a comprehensive understanding of the software-related issues involved
Risk Assessment Consulting Services:
- Provide software risk analysis expertise and objectivity.
- Leverage source code analysis tools to create a comprehensive picture of the strengths and weaknesses of each piece of software.
- Project the source code analysis onto a financial model to evaluate the potential economic impact.
- Provide an operating efficiency report, an appraisal of the source code’s ability to support growth, and a risk profile, defining issues embedded within the software.
- Risk management in software engineering environments
Common Software Risk Evaluation Use Case Scenarios
Usage of Software Risk Evaluation is seen in these use cases:
- Outsourcing Software Maintenance – Organizations find economic benefit in outsourcing maintenance of legacy application to third parties. Prior to the transfer, a full assessment of the applications architecture and design to establish a baseline helps both parties understand their mutual responsibilities.
- Software Re-platforming – Enterprise architecture needs often require the migration or platforming of applications to new environments. Assessing an application or portfolio of applications prior to the migration provides insight and visibility to potential compatibility and integration issues.
- Merger and Acquisition – Many venture capitalists, investors and managers have experienced unforeseen and unnecessary losses due to hidden challenges in a target company’s software. Assessing software assets pre-merger or pre-acquisition reduces both financial and technical risk to future revenue.
- Outsourcing: What should every client of outsourced software know about mitigating the risk of project failure.
- Outsourcing and risk: Contractual terms can set the scene for a software outsourcing relationship, but to effectively manage software project risk, both the client-side team and the supplier team need to clearly understand how they can ensure their actions and behaviours have a positive impact on value delivered.
The Insights section of our website features additional reference materials. Visit it to find more information on this topic.
Our software risk services are designed as standard, packaged offerings developed from working with clients across various industries. These services are effective and proven but may not fully meet your specific needs. Therefore we offer customized services based on the fundamentals of software risk and welcome talking with you on your particular circumstances
Contact Tony Timbol at 904-614-0931 to discuss your software risk assessment options.